Taking Care of Myself

Hey guys,

Today's post is going to be kind of serious--so sorry about that. I'll just get right into it.

A few months ago, I started a new job. I really liked my job. My co-workers were really nice, they seemed flexible with scheduling, the pay was great, and the hours were just what I was looking for. I loved the job itself, too.

However, things weren't quite right there. The store manager wasn't very friendly. As time went on, he got worse and worse.

The comments he made to me were often very rude, and whenever he talked to me he was extremely condescending. He sometimes even yelled at me in the middle of the store and I had to hide in the back and cry until I was calm enough to come back out and do my job again.

When talking with my co-workers, most of the females said that he'd made them cry multiple times, and that he gets right into the faces of the male workers and scream at them.

It wasn't so bad at first, but today when I talked to him and turned some paperwork in, he was just so rude and belittling that I decided enough was enough. I know I won't find another job that pays as well as that one did or that had as nice of business hours, but I couldn't let myself be treated like that anymore. I'm also really going to miss my employee discount!

Oddly enough, I'm not even mad at my manager. I'm very upset and hurt, but not really angry. I feel very sorry for him. He has been working in retail and dealing with customers for forty years. Not that this excuses how he treats the employees, but I think I would be crabby if I had to deal with customers and work long hours on my feet for forty years, too.

You're probably thinking that I'm an idiot for sticking around this long, but it really was a great job otherwise. However, I know that to be my best and my happiest, I should put myself in healthy environments, and unfortunately that was not a healthy environment. I plan on giving my two-week notice this week.

Have any of you faced situations like this?
What did you do?
Do you have advice?

xx
Heidi


Comments

  1. Glad you put yourself first, it's hard to do, at least for me. But if now you are happier then it's all good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's very hard for me, too; I was terrified! But I am way happier now :)
    xx
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

52 Weeks In The Word by Trillia J Newbell | Review

Rainy Days

Know Own Change by Joshua Clemons & Hazen Stevens | Review